I was almost in hibernation mode, spending my day under a warm woolen blanket, recovering from a flu, when I felt this urge to devour something sweet. Since, I don’t eat gluten which also means that I don’t keep cookies or any other sweets (except chocolate) in my house, I had no choice but to improvise. It had to be something which did not require baking. This delicious treat is gluten-free, dairy-free and sugar free. Cocoa is a top source of antioxidants, contains an abundance of magnesium and zinc among others, raw honey contains immune boosting and anti-viral properties, is super high in B vitamins and promotes sleep. Almonds are filled with minerals such as magnesium, copper, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, iron and B vitamins, and hemp seeds are an excellent source of essential fatty acids.
So, here is my creation:
• 1/4 cup of organic almond butter
• 1/8 cup of cocoa powder
• 2 tablespoons of raw honey
• 2 tablespoons of crushed almonds
• 2 tablespoons of hemp seeds
• 1 tablespoon of ground chia seeds
• 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
• a dab of chili powder
• grated coconut flakes
- Put all the ingredients, except coconut flakes, into a bowl and mix with a fork until the mixture comes together and ball starts to form. You could use a food processor, however I decided to use a fork (trying to conserve energy).
- Take a spoonful, roll it in the palms of your hand in a ball shape and cover with coconut flakes. Set aside in tupperware container, or any other container to be stored in the fridge.
Enjoy it with a cup of tea.
Bon appetit !